July 25, 2021
Sometimes we get caught up in the hustle and bustle of getting things done, we forget to take out time for ourselves and our family. Before you know it, summer is over, the kids are back in school and you never did take that weekend away that you were going to do for sure this year.
1. Exercise: If you go for a 1/2 hour walk five times a week, that is good. There are many ways to exercise, bike, swim, hiking, tennis, etc. As we age, we lose muscle mass so it is important to also do strength training.
2. Stay hydrated: Remember to drink water. Drinking water helps your body to function and stay hydrated. We've always heard, drink 8-10 glasses of water a day. That has changed, now it is recommended to drink 15.5 cups for men and 11.5 cups for women per day. If you want to add some flavor to your water add a splash of fruit juice, lime slices, lemon slices, fruit, or fresh cucumbers.
3. Enjoy the outdoor: Studies have shown when people spend more time outdoors it improves their disposition. Vitamin D is good for the soul. Take time to appreciate the outdoors.
4. Use sunscreen when outside: I love being in the sun as much as anyone does, but it's important to protect your skin.
5. Take time for you: This may mean, finding a quiet space to read your favorite book, taking time to work on your hobbies, or go to lunch with a friend. Sometimes we get so busy doing everything that needs to be done we forget to take time for ourselves.
6. Get your rest: Not getting enough sleep over time can play havic with your overall health. We should all be getting 7-8 hours of sleep a night. Our bodies need time to rest.
7. Eat fresh fruits and vegatables: This is a great time of year to purchase fresh fruit and vegatables at good prices. Fruits, vegetables, grains, and nuts are rich in fiber. You will be less likely to want to eat more because fiber helps you to stay full.
8. Limit added sugars: We are to eat less than six teaspoons of added sugar (this does not include natural sugars found in fruit and milk) a day. When you're looking at labels, remember one teaspoon equals four grams of added sugar. You might be surprised to find what foods have sugar.
9. Plan a weekend get away: We all deserve some away time, even if it's just an overnight somewhere doing something you enjoy by yourself, with friends, or family.
10. Gratitude: Take a little time every day to think about the things in your life you are thankful for. Being postive and grateful can help you feel better and thrive in life.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
May 10, 2021
February 01, 2021
December 29, 2020