How To Care For Your Freshwater Pearl Jewelry
Freshwater pearls are a soft gemstone. If you take good care of your freshwater pearl jewelry, it can be a long lasting treasure.
Pearl jewelry can be damaged by many chemicals and all acids. This includes perfume, cosmetics, hair spray, and even perspiration. Your freshwater pearl jewelry should be the last thing you put on and the first thing you take off.
Do not wear your pearl jewelry when exercising, showering, to the pool or to the beach. Yes, freshwater pearls are not as strong as some gemstones increasing the risk of damage if you wear them every day. But, if you take proper care of your pearl jewelry and store it properly you can wear your pearls as often as you like.
Cleaning your freshwater pearl jewelry
- Never clean your freshwater pearl jewelry in an ultrasonic or steam cleaner.
- Gently clean each pearl using a soft, damp cloth, microfiber jewelry cloth or chamois to remove surface debri that can accumulate when you wear it. You should do this as soon as you take off your pearl jewelry and before storing it.
- If you have a strand of pearls and that are really dirty, I'd suggest taking them to a professional jeweler to be cleaned.
Storing your freshwater pearl jewelry
- Do not store your freshwater pearl jewelry in places where it can get hot. High heat can burn cultured pearls and cause splitting, cracking, and/or discoloration.
- Do NOT store your pearl jewelry in an airtight package such as a plastic bag because pearls need moisture. If it's too dry, the pearls could crack.
- Store your freshwater pearl jewelry in a non-airtight container when your not wearing it. This prevents it from drying out or sustaining any nacre damage.
- You should also store your pearls in a soft pouch or wrap them in a soft cloth so they don't get bumped by other jewelry that may scratch them.
- If you have a pearl necklace or pearl bracelet that is strung, you should lay it out flat when storing it.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Follow Me On My Creative Journey
Do you ever wonder what it takes to make a piece of handcrafted jewelry?
What are freshwater Pearls? Cultured freshwater pearls are pearls that are created using oysters and are farmed. They are almost exclusively produced in China. United states and Japan produce them, but on a limited scale.
What is the difference between a natural pearl and a cultured pearl?